A leading example of concurrent refurbishment of base building and tenant fit out
500 Bourke St, Melbourne, Victoria is tenanted by NAB, with approximately 3,800 staff across 47,000 sqm of office space.
NAB is committed to being a carbon neutral organisation and their ongoing tenancy required the refurbishment of this 30 year old building bringing it to target ratings.
The team reviewed the requirements of NAB and developed a plan to deliver 500 Bourke Street at 5 Star Green Star Office Design v2 and As Built rating.
The changes included:
- Reuse of the existing structure and façade saving the embedded energy required to construct an all new building
- Achieving 60% of NLA with external views and equitable sharing of views and natural light
- Installation of high efficiency chillers and upgraded heat rejection systems
- Customised building tuning of the integrated BMCS to maximise efficiency and minimise energy consumption
- Integrated fit out of the base building and tenant interior upgrades
- Low VOC products and CO2 monitoring and control
- Energy efficient lighting and controls
- Centralised web/3G based utilities monitoring system Hydroshare that includes automated leak detection and maintenance request alarms
- Reduced potable water consumption through highly efficient fixtures and fittings, rainwater harvesting and fire test water recovery; and
- 300 secure bicycle racks and change rooms.
Measures of success
Following the refurbishment 500 Bourke Street has achieved a 4 Star NABERS Energy rating and is on target to achieving a 4.5 Star rating, and achieving a 4.5 Star Indoor Air Quality rating. The current performance of this building indicates a 4 Star NABERS Water rating is achievable. The internal fit out design achieved a 5 Star Green Star Interiors rating