Casselden: $50 million, five-year rejuvenation of a major Melbourne office building
Casselden, at 2 Lonsdale Street Melbourne, was a 20-year-old, 61,412 sqm office building, which required a significant upgrade to bring it into line with the current sustainability expectations for an A-grade commercial office.
ISPT undertook a major interior renovation and capital works program to improve the building’s sustainability.
This was achieved through:
- renovating the grand foyer to better leverage height and space
- upgrading and expanding our blackwater treatment plant, the first ever installed in a commercial building
- modest purchase of renewable, ‘green’ power
- a $10 million bathroom renewal/water-efficiency program
- energy efficiency upgrades to lifts, plant, machinery, lighting and air-conditioning systems
- maximum efficiency settings across all systems
installation of Hydroshare, a sophisticated, web-based monitoring system.
Measures of success
The Casselden refurbishment was completed in October 2013 and has achieved:
- 5 Star (Australian Excellence) Green Star Design v3 rating
- 5 Star NABERS Energy base building rating
- 5 Star NABERS Water rating
- 4 Star NABERS Indoor Environment base building rating.