POWERING A LOW CARBON FUTURE
National Solar PV Project
In 2016 we embarked on a national, 4 stage initiative to install Solar Photovoltaic (PV) panels on 50 of our rooftops. The rollout was the first of its scale in Australia and aimed to set a benchmark for sustainable leadership while providing clean, cost-effective, low-carbon energy to our customers.
Stage 1 – complete
- $1.2M investment.
- 3,000 Solar PV panels covering 20,000 sqm of roof space on 12 commercial and retail building rooftops.
- Powered 367,069 sqm of office and retail space.
- Generated 1,361 MWh in year one – equivalent to power usage of 168 homes and 12% higher than the production benchmark.
Stage 2 – complete
- $11.1M investment.
- 13,000 Solar PV panels installed, covering 75,000 sqm of roof space on 12 retail buildings (includes 3 upgrades from Stage 1).
- Expected to save 5,353 MWh in year one – equivalent to 740 homes.
Stage 3 and 4 – underway
- Investigations into Stage 3 are underway on 30 commercial and retail buildings.
- The estimated project budget is $7.1M and will look to save over 4,500 MWh per annum.
- Stage 3 will also investigate industrial-scale applications of solar, coupled with new technologies such as battery storage.
- Stage 4 will focus on driving future revenue generation opportunities through renewable
We expect to have over 50 buildings with solar PV panels installed once Stage 4 of the project is underway. It’s just one of the ways we’re future-proofing our buildings and responsibly investing in a low carbon future.